[cvsnt] Re: How to use CVS init -r option ???

Tony Hoyle tony.hoyle at march-hare.com
Wed Jun 28 12:18:06 BST 2006

David Somers wrote:
> Tony Hoyle wrote:
>
>>The whole thing probably needs a rethink for security purposes anyway.
>

> I thought only a user with admin rights could do init -r, so its use is
> already restricted to (hopefully) responsible admins.

The problem is the potential for abuse, and accidents, even for admins.
  It's just a bit too unsafe for my liking at the moment.

For remote repository init there probably needs to be a global root that
the new ones are created under - this stops people trying to create
repositories in random places on the disk, which is a situation I really
don't like (a cvs init in c:\windows could be rather a mess for
example.. especially if it wasn't caught for a while).