[cvsnt] Synchronizing two repositories

Gerhard Fiedler lists at connectionbrazil.com
Fri Jun 30 01:16:55 BST 2006

Arthur Barrett wrote:

> This is getting seriously off topic.

For the thread, maybe, but not for the group. I generally like to read what
you have to say, you are the representative of the commercial end of cvsnt,
and I think it is not only in my (and others') interest that your messages
can be threaded by the major news and email clients, but also in yours.

>> Arthur's client apparently doesn't include the "References" header,
>> which is needed for proper threading. The message is "Produced By
>> Microsoft Exchange V6.0.6603.0". It also uses a somewhat non-standard
>> charset "Windows-1252".
>
> That's because I am not using a newsgroup client - this is an e-mail
> list too you know.

I know. It's been a while that I received email from the list, but
generally, the message ids are also in the emails and email clients can
send back a References and/or In-Reply-To header when replying. I read a
number of other mailing lists through gmane.org (a
news-to-mail-and-back-again gateway :) and threading works usually fine --
at least if the sender's email client adds the References or In-Reply-To
header. I just checked, and it seems that there are a number of messages
e.g. "Produced By Microsoft Exchange V6.5" that do include both the
References and the In-Reply-To header. I'm no Exchange expert, but it seems
that Exchange/Outlook can create these headers when responding by email.

Gerhard