[cvsnt] CVSNT and Scmbug

Kristis Makris kristis.makris at asu.edu
Fri Mar 3 17:21:02 GMT 2006

Hi Arthur, thanks for the response.

On Mon, 2006-02-20 at 09:25 +1100, Arthur Barrett wrote:
> March Hare Software looked at all the various CVS/CVSNT and Bug Database
> (Bugzilla etc) integrations including scmbug but decided that they all
> didn't meet the requirements of commercial software development.

I'd be interested to know where Scmbug lost marks and could be improved,
if you could disclose that ?

> In particular we discovered that using "generic attributes" for bug
> numbers (such as tags) prevented us from adding useful features such as
> commit by bug number, merge by bug number etc.  Bugs are quite different
> from a tag since several versions can all have changes with the same bug
> number and a single change can have multiple bug numbers.

I agree with you. But, I don't see how this is relates to Scmbug. Scmbug
permits a single change to have multiple bug numbers.

> Finally perl scripts for integrations tend to be difficult to setup, so
> "core" components are now written in 3GL using the CVSNT triggers
> mechanism so they can work seamlessly "out of the box" on all platforms.

We provide an installation script that installs the integration, if
that's what you mean by setup.

> The bugzilla plugin is only available in the "CVS Suite" and "CVS
> Professional" versions (ie: it's not open source), however all the bug
> functionality (including Audit) is in the CVSNT core.

I'm not a CVSNT user, but I use CVS. We've had reports from Scmbug users
that they've been able to install it and have it work with CVSNT.