[cvsnt] Re: Control panel invisible...

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at telia.com
Sun Mar 5 13:41:43 GMT 2006

On Fri, 03 Mar 2006 19:28:55 +0100, Bo Berglund
<bo.berglund at telia.com> wrote:

>I have now checked the Inno installer and it makes me very confused.
>When I build the installer for 2260 and run it I get no entry into the
>registry for the control panel. But the Inno script has this line
>(wrapped by newsreader):
>
>[Registry]
>Root: HKLM; Subkey: SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Control
>Panel\Cpls; ValueType: string; ValueName: CVSNT; ValueData:
>{app}\simcpl.cpl; Flags: uninsdeletevalue; Components: Server

I have now investigated the problem a bit more and it turned out to be
a chain of causes:
1) There was code that explicitly deleted the registry key entry...
2) If I remove that code the registry entry *is* created as it should
3) But strangely there are now 2 control panel icons shown!

So I guess that the reason the code line to remove the registry entry
was put there was because the dual links (with different icons) was
very confusing...
Now, when I look further I cannot really understand why the link
should be to simcpl.cpl, it seems more natural to link to cvsnt.cpl
instead. And, indeed, if I change the registry entry to cvsnt.cpl then
the result is a single Control Panel icon with the correct image!

Question (for Tony):
What does simcpl.cpl really do? It seems like a confusing item. Should
it really even be installed? It is still part of the binaries
distribution but it is not mentioned in the cvsnt.wxs file.

/Bo
(Bo Berglund, developer in Sweden)