[cvsnt] Re: sserver not working on XP Pro

James Baxendale jrpbax at yahoo.com
Sun Mar 5 23:33:55 GMT 2006

Aha! Turns out that for whatever reason the cvsnt-default.pem was not generated during installation. Once I generated it by issuing:

  genkey cvsnt-default.pem

  and then allowed my firewall to permit the outbound communication (this must be what happened during installation and I must have denied genkey access at that time) and set the sserver protocol dialog to reference this file for both the Certificate and the private key everything started to work as advertised.

  Thanks you very much for your help. Sorry for the confusion on my end. I did notice the difference in .pem name between the one I was trying and the one listed at the site http://web.telia.com/~u86216177/InstallCVSNT25.html (i.e. cvsnt-default.pem) but mistakenly assumed that ca.pem had to be the file because it was the only one present in the installation directory.

  Cheers,

  James

Tony Hoyle <tony.hoyle at march-hare.com> wrote:
  James Baxendale wrote:
> The instructions on the page http://web.telia.com/~u86216177/InstallCVSNT25.html seems to indicate with a screenshot that the ca.pem file should be set as the Certificate and Private Key file parameters and that is the site I was following.
>
> So are you saying that in the protocol section of the CVSNT control panel for the sserver protocol that I should clear the Private Key field or do I need to clear both fields? I tried it both ways (with only Certificate set to the one in the installation and then with neither field set) but neither change had any effect. I did shutdown the server before making these changes and then restart it each time.

There will be a cvsnt-default.pem that was generated by the installer -
reset both of them to that file.

> I turned on server logging to see what more information I could garner and got
>
> 16:11:15: S -> CVS Server is acting as member of domain 'MyDomainName'
> 16:11:15: S -> Client sent 'BEGIN SSL AUTH REQUEST'
> 16:11:15: S -> Couldn't find a matching authentication protocol

It sounds like either sserver isn't installed, or that the server can't
use it. Do any other protocols work?