[cvsnt] Unexpected sticky options when checking out fromcvs.cvsnt.org with 2.0.58d client

Oliver Koltermann okoltermann_deletethis_ at gmx.de
Tue Mar 7 10:27:01 GMT 2006

Hello Tony,

thanks for your comment.

Tony Hoyle <tony.hoyle at march-hare.com> writes:
> Oliver Koltermann wrote:
> > Yes, Flávio, you are right. The :1.1 is the thing I've never seen
> > before. Your guess sounds somewhat reasonable, but I suspect a lot of
> > dependencies to other tools and workflows if the CVS/Tag file is
> > (mis-?)used that way.
>
> In practice nobody ever interprets that file, just sends it right back
> to the server - which is exactly what we want.  You can't use any
> other file because of the way frontends sometimes use them.

So I guess Flávio was right and what I'm seeing is some internal
directory information. To be clear on that: I have *no* problem with
that, now I know the background.

But I am still not sure about possible side effects. If I want to "cvs
add" some files they get added on the (branch-)tag the directory is
on. And where do I find this information? AFAIK in the CVS/Tag file.

When working on the command line I sometimes use "cat CVS/Tag" to get
the directorys Tag. I know by now how to handle the :1.x part, but
e.g. WinCVS does the same - without this special knowledge.

So my point is that the content of CVS/Tag is not available over a
specified interface (I know of) or call of cvsnt, but contains
necessary information (the directorys tag). There may be more tools or
scripts using this information... I don't know.

That's why I don't think that "nobody ever interprets that file". But
maybe there is another way I don't know of, please let me know.

Best regards,
O. Koltermann.