[cvsnt] CVSNT speed issues...

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at telia.com
Wed Mar 8 22:40:54 GMT 2006

Tony,
I have noted that whenever I update my CVSNT sources from your server
over the internet the process is blazingly fast!
But when I do the same for my own company sources in a module of
comparamle or smaller size on our LAN the speed is a crawl compared to
what you have on your server.

So I am wondering what we are doing wrong here, or rather, what tweaks
you have put on your server to make it run as fast?

Our server is:
CVSNT 2.5.03.2151
Repository and temp dir on drive D: (a partition on single hdd)
Hardware: HP pancake server from circa 2001
CPU speed: (don't know, I am sitting at home right now)
Operating system: Windows 2000 Server with latest SP installed
Disk size: 13 Gb with 25% free
RAM size: some 400 Mb
No AV software on this server.
Server is part of an AD domain but is used exclusively for our own
development team, so there are no other heavy loads on it.

This speed difference has been noticeable by me since several years,
but I am now feeling it to be rather substantial and it is even more
annoying knowing that I access your CVSNT server over my ADSL Internet
connection through several firewalls (my ADSL speed is 5 Mbps down and
650 kbps up) and the company one using a 100 Mbps LAN.

Are there any special considerations in order to get the speed faster?

/Bo
(Bo Berglund, developer in Sweden)