[cvsnt] Re: CVSNT on Win2003

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at telia.com
Tue Mar 21 19:53:33 GMT 2006

On Tue, 21 Mar 2006 14:34:53 -0400, Kris McCann
<kris at eoascientific.com> wrote:

>I'm having a really hard time getting CVSNT running properly on my 2003
>server.
>
>I have my a folder which contains all of my individual project folders,
>and I've made it my default CVS repository.

That is not how CVS works at all. Have you read up on the very basics
concerning the repository files and how it relates to working files??

Repository:
Holds the RCS file database into which you are storing all of your
file edits and from which you check out the working file set to your
own PC:s hard disk.
Every RCS file holds the complete history of the corresponding normal
file. These files should *only* be accessed using the CVS server
calls, never be handled manually.

Sandbox, project folder, checked out fileset:
Many names for the same thing, normal source files on a local PC
(normally completely different from the server PC) which have been
*checked out* from the repository via the CVS server. Metadata are
stored with the sandbox so that CVS knows from where these files came
and what revisions they are etc.

How to get files *into* the CVS repository?
Definitely *NOT* by basing a repository on already existing normal
files somewhere! Files are put under version control by either
importing them to CVS or by cvs adding them in an already checked out
sandbox.

>If I try and check out a subfolder, I get the error:
>
>cvs.exe checkout: in directory .:
>cvs.exe checkout: cannot open CVS/Entries for reading: No such file or
>directory
>
>I seem to be able to get around this by creating a new repository in the
>individual project folder that I want to check out, and now when I try
>to check
>out that folder, I don't get an error, and it looks like it's
>downloading the
>folder structure (no files though), then when it's done, it deletes all
>of the
>folders, and leaves me with the project folder, containing only a CVS and
>CVSROOT folder.

Again this is not at all how CVS works. You should read up on the
basic level of how CVS works. A good place even though it deals with
the Unix view of things is:

http://cvsbook.red-bean.com/cvsbook.html

>The impression I get is that the server isn't correctly building the CVSROOT
>folders and indexing the files, but I'm new to CVS servers, I've only ever
>used it from the client side before, so I don't really know the details of
>how it should work on that side of things.

I have a feeling you are confusing things big-time here....
Maybe this can help on how to install a CVSNT server correctly:
http://web.telia.com/~u86216177/InstallCVSNT25.html

But you also must get to grips with the CVS paradigm....

/Bo
(Bo Berglund, developer in Sweden)