[cvsnt] Re: Bad upgrade experience to current CVSNT 2.50.3 (2260)

John Peacock jpeacock at rowman.com
Fri Mar 24 18:06:14 GMT 2006

Tony Hoyle wrote:
> Yes it does - it's a mandatory part of the install (it's dbghelp.dll).

It wasn't installed by the installer on this machine.  Please check your
install script dependencies for NT4.

> This never worked anyway due to a bug in perl (it couldn't read stdin
> when passed in that way).

It always worked fine here; perhaps it was a problem with people using
@ARG and not magic "shift" to retrieve the commandline options (shift
will take stuff from STDIN if you run out of commandline).

> Is W: a network drive?

No, it is a large local drive that I changed the drive letter on.

> This feature works - I use it regularly as do many others.

I have no doubt that you do, but it doesn't work here and I got no
output about what it was having a problem with.  If it logs something
when "verbose" is turned on, I couldn't find it.  Can you describe a
little more in detail how this feature works?  If it just updates the
entire tree starting at the matching line, then I'll keep using my Perl
script (which only updates the portion of the subtree where the commit
happened).  What does the "Verbose output" do and where does it send
that information?

> 3. It's working as advertised.  What did you expect to happen?

I expected that 'cvs up' in a _working copy_ wouldn't be considered a
server command, since it doesn't change the server contents.  The
postcommand documentation is a little sparse (it might have helped if
the docs pointed to the commit-files.html#syntax page as well as
explained whether commands would be on the command line or sent via STDIN).

John