[cvsnt] Looking up *_protocol.dll

Torsten Martinsen torsten at vip.cybercity.dk
Thu Mar 30 20:24:28 BST 2006

I have just discovered that recent CVSNT versions will always try to
load the protocol DLL's from the path stored in the registry value
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\CVS\PServer\InstallPath.

This means that if you have two different CVSNT versions installed, they
will both attempt to load the same protocol DLL's - this will obviously
fail in one of the cases.

I am pretty sure this behaviour is new, and it causes problems for
people who have installed CVSNT and then install a TortoiseCVS version
including another CVSNT client. Can anyone explain
1) why the protocol DLL's are not always loaded using the path of
cvs.exe (which the code does fall back to in case the registry value
does not exist); and
2) if there are any unwanted side effects to deleting the registry value?

-Torsten