[cvsnt] Re: Problem checking out sub-module into module's tree

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at telia.com
Mon May 1 22:27:55 BST 2006

On Mon, 1 May 2006 12:04:12 -0700, "Bryce Schober"
<bryce.schober at gmail.com> wrote:

>C:\cvs2>cvs checkout -d user/bks-test user/bks
>cvs server: cannot chdir to user: No such file or directory
>cvs server: ignoring module user/bks

For some time now CVSNT does not accept that kind of construct.
I hit it on about 80 scripts we use to build installers for our
software. They work by exporting files to a directory structure from
which we then launch the install builder.

Before the change we could do this:
set CVSROOT=<whatever>
cvs export -r HEAD -d MyApp/Somedir SomeModule/SomeSubmod

and the result would be that the contents of SomeSubmod would be
exported into MyApp/Somedir (which would be created)

Now, after the change, it does not work. And it does not matter if the
MyApp/Somedir folder actually exists when we execute the command!
Instead we needed to change *all* of our scripts to the following
format:

set CVSROOT=<whatever>
mkdir MyApp
chdir Myapp
cvs export -r HEAD -d Somedir SomeModule/SomeSubmod
cd ..

The export will create a single level of directory only from the -d
argument!

Rather clumsy, but that was what Tony Hoyle's reply meant to us.
The previous syntax worked happily several years, but when we finally
upgraded to build 2151 and later to 2260 we had to modify *all* of our
build scripts because of this....

>Any help here? Basically what I'm trying to do is checkout our entire
>project's tree, then checkout a copy of part of the tree in a
>differently named directory. Was this broken in the newer version or
>was it not supposed to work in the first place?

It was working fine and in my mind it broke sometime in the 2.5
version development. Don't know where though....
I considered it a CVSNT bug, but it does not make me happier so I
edited the scripts.

HTH

/Bo
(Bo Berglund, developer in Sweden)