[cvsnt] Re: Novice user need help

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at telia.com
Fri May 5 22:19:59 BST 2006

On Fri, 5 May 2006 10:42:20 -0700, "Vicky Wang"
<wangv at pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca> wrote:

Do as Luigi told you concerning creation of the repository!

>seems repository set up successfully, and I can see the new folder called
>c:\CVSROOT with lots of admin files inside has been created, looks every
>thing is fine up to now
>
>then I imported all my code folders into this c:\CVSROOT\, and it was also
>done secessfully

This is EXTREMELY BAD!!!!!
You should never ever put any source files below the CVSROOT module on
the server! THe CVSROOT folder contains the control files and only the
administrator for CVS has access to this folder and everything below
it...

>then I tried to checkout files,
>
>Remote ->Check out module ->
>
>then I got this error message (always, no matter how I changed setting):

You need to read up on how CVS actually works, please use the links to
such info on the page Luigi pointed you at.
Especially Karl Fogels book is very useful, I bought and read it when
I started out with CVS 5 years ago and it outlines the basic
principles very well. Of course it does not mention WinCvs or CVSNT
and new functions available since then, but still a good source of
knowledge.
http://cvsbook.red-bean.com/

HTH

/Bo