[cvsnt] Re: Committing a file with no changes causes error

Glen Starrett glen.starrett at march-hare.com
Fri May 12 21:25:43 BST 2006

Gaer,Jeffrey J wrote:
> Not sure if this is client related or server. But if a file timestamp shows
> it as new but the file is not changed we get an erroneous error message. To
> create the problem open a file in wordpad, add a space to a line save it,
> delete the space save it, try to commit and the error is
>

> Error, CVS operation failed
>
> Tortoise Tip:  Someone else has committed a new version of one or more of
> the files you are trying to commit. You need to do a CVS Update and then try
> to commit again.

That's a tortoise issue, not CVSNT.  Try reporting this on the Tortoise
list.

I would guess that it is seeing the file modified locally, send it to
the server, then the server does a diff to see that nothing has changed.
  The client then updates the file locally, so the status is corrected.

CVSNT returns a 0 result when the file is committed or when it is
attempted but duplicate, not sure why TCVS is saying "error" in that
case.  It's probably assuming a locally modified file should result in
an output with the commit indication, regardless of the return value.

> I was wondering if there is a way to force the server to allow commits with
> no changes. Its easy to cause this scenario if a file is copied over itself.
> Or with certain ide undo features. Thanks in advance for any help.

There is, but I don't think you really want that in this case.  You can
use the -f parameter to force a commit (you can put that in your cvsrc
file in your home directory).

Regards,

--
Glen Starrett