[cvsnt] Re: Looking up *_protocol.dll

McNamee, John john.mcnamee at hp.com
Tue May 16 23:28:51 BST 2006

Sorry to resurrect a six week old thread, but this change just became
visible to a wider audience due to today's release of TortoiseCVS
1.8.26.

I understand that programs other than cvs.exe (e.g. control panel) need
to use the registry to find the CVSNT installation directory.  What I
don't understand is why cvs.exe should use the registry for this.
cvs.exe knows where it lives (GetModuleFileName() followed by minor
surgery on the string), and can load it's support DLL's from there.

Having multiple client versions of CVSNT on the same machine is a
reasonable and previously supported use case.  Why break that?  What's
the up side?  When would you ever want to load cvs.exe from directory A,
but protocol DLL's from directory B?

--John

On Fri Mar 31 09:51:24 UTC 2006, Tony Hoyle wrote:
> Bo Berglund wrote:
> > I think that Torsten talked about CVSNT in the *client* role. If
that
> > is so, why is it not possible to have multiple versions of CVSNT on
> > your PC and select which one to use?
>
> If one of them is the server then it will rely on that location.
>
> 'location of the cvs.exe' is too simplistic - it only works for
cvs.exe
> itself.  Other applications which want to use parts of cvs need to
know
> where they are (for example the control panel won't work at all
without
> this registry entry)... indeed where the cvs.exe is to execute
commands.
>  It's a property of the API not of cvsnt itself.
>
> You can override it for a single command (the OSX version uses this..
it
> seems to be implemented for Win32 too although I've never used it)
using -L.