[cvsnt] Re: Looking up *_protocol.dll

McNamee, John john.mcnamee at hp.com
Wed May 17 19:49:45 BST 2006

Tony Hoyle wrote:
> > Here's my problem...  This change is making my life difficult, and I
> > really want to understand why.  I understand that programs other
than
> > cvs.exe may need use the registry to find the protocol DLL's, but
that
> > isn't my question.  Why is cvs.exe doing it?  What would break if
> > cvs.exe reverted to the prior behavior?
>
> cvs.exe doesn't.  The cvs apis do, and cvs.exe is just a client of
those
> apis.

s/cvs.exe/cvs apis/ and the same question still applies.  cvsapi.dll
and/or cvstools.dll can easily find out where they live
(GetModuleFileName with the HINSTANCE passed to DllMain), and load the
protocol DLL's from there.  Is there a case where you'd want the
cvsapi/cvstools DLL's in one directory and the protocol DLL's in
another?  I'm still not seeing why a registry lookup is needed.

--John