AW: [cvsnt] upgrade from cvs to cvsnt

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at telia.com
Tue May 23 12:41:20 BST 2006

On Tue, 23 May 2006 12:35:31 +0200, "Bruns, Oliver"
<Oliver.Bruns at neutrasoft.de> wrote:

>Hi,
>Stell, thanks!
>But one question again:
>
>On "http://www.cvsnt.org/wiki/Upgrading"
>Is listed, that you should use a LockServer and comment out the LockDir.
>
>Why did you disabled it? Has "in-repository locking" any advantages?
>(I want to know that because I'll maybe configure it also in your way)

Don't do that!
The CVSNT lockserver service is more capable than the lockfiles used
by standard CVS and is the default on a new CVSNT installation, so
please do not disable it.

Concerning the repository:
Move everything except the CVSROOT directory from your old server to
the new one.
Then check out and configure your CVSROOT files (config and scripts)
the way you need them to be.
That is about it. (you could move the CVSROOT/history file if you feel
like you need to look into that sometime, but it is not really needed.
CVSNT has a much better auditing function tha stores the action data
in a database so it is easily accessible.)

Take care that when you move the repository files you don't use some
"intelligent" software that tries to change the line endings from
Linux (LF) to Windows (CRLF) because then you are screwed!
The repository should be boved in binary fashion.

HTH

/Bo
(Bo Berglund, developer in Sweden)