[cvsnt] Resource leaks in 2.5.xx ???

Kevin kevin_johnson_2004REMOVE_THIS at yahoo.com
Tue May 23 18:04:59 BST 2006

Hi,

I've been stumped for several days now with regard to the behavior we're
seeing with CVSNT. We've tried 2.5.01 and 2.5.03...

We wrote a Perl script to create "branch point tags" on all cvs file
revisions where a branch "branches off." For example, if a branch "1.4.2"
exists with the name fix01 we create a tag called fix01_BP on revision 1.4.
The simple procedure for this is: for each cvs file we do a "cvs status -v"
and parse the output to get the current tags. Then we do several "cvs tag -r
tags." This amounts to around 10 tags or so per file.

As this script is running we monitor the server with task manager. We can
see the available physical memory slowly depleting. Even after the program
terminates the memory does not increase to where it was when it began. In
other words, the memory is not given back to the OS (Windows XP Pro SP2).
Also, we've seen this similar behavior on 2 other machines (also XP SP2).

For example, as of this moment, we've so far processed over 6000 files
(which is about 66000 cvs commands: one status and ~10 tag commands) and the
available physical memory has gone down from 222M to 148M. From several
previous test runs, if we stop the script the physical available memory will
barely increase (for example) from this 148M to around 152M or so. Where is
this memory???

For problem isolation we have 3 clients. Also, we've tried each of these
with local and pserver protocol.
1 - Perl code which does `cvs status` and `cvs tag` commands.
2 - Java code which execs cvs client commands via ProcessBuilder and
Runtime.exec() methods
3 - Java code which uses the javacvs api

Also, I have ran all of our client code on a separate machine. And when we
monitor the server we see the same memory depletion. So, we think we have
isolated this to the cvsservice.exe and/or the spawned cvs.exe programs? Or
is this a Windows issue?

Any feedback is appreciated.

Thanks Much,
Kevin