[cvsnt] Help! Upgrading to CVSNT 2.5.03

Tim Chippington Derrick tim at chippingtonderrick.co.uk
Thu May 25 18:56:15 BST 2006

Hi

I posted this problem a few days ago and got no response, so am
trying again. I can't see what I am doing wrong. I have been using
CVSNT for more than a year with no problems before now.

I updated a machine (Win XP Pro SP2) that was running CVSNT 2.0.51 to
2.5.03 and now I can't get any sense out of the CVS server.

If I use pserver, I get error messages like:

c:\users\tim>cvs -d :pserver:tim at timlaptop:2401:/main login
Logging in to :pserver:tim at timlaptop:2401:/main
CVS Password:
cvs [login aborted]: Error reading from server timlaptop: 0: No such
file or directory

If instead I try to use sspi, I get this instead:

c:\users\tim>cvs -d :sspi:localhost:/main login
Logging in to :sspi:Tim at localhost:2401:/main
CVS Password:
Can't authenticate - server and client cannot agree on an
authentication scheme (got '')

I followed the advice on http://www.cvsnt.org/wiki/Upgrading which
suggests just installing over the top of an existing 2.x CVSNT server
installation. I have also read through
http://web.telia.com/~u86216177/InstallCVSNT25.html and am still
having problems. I have looked back in the CVSNT list and didn't yet
find any other clues there either...

What am I doing wrong? What have I missed?

Tim