[cvsnt] How to allow the deleting of files from CVSRepository to only some particular users.

Gabriel Genellina gagsl-cvsnt at yahoo.com.ar
Fri Nov 3 06:21:05 GMT 2006

At Friday 3/11/2006 02:39, gayathri.aravind at tcs.com wrote:

>I am new to CVS. I have installed CVSNT version 2.5.03 on Windows. I am
>using Eclipse to talk with the CVS repository. I have been able to get the
>configuration working.
>But I want to restrict deleting of files in such a way that  only a
>particular group of people should have the right to delete any file from a
>project in the CVS repository. But all the users should have rights to
>edit or add files and directories.
>Can this be done in CVSNT? Please guide me regarding this.

Not exactly. If any user has "write" permission on a directory, he
can remove files inside that directory. There is no specific "remove"
permission. Note that you don't gain much from restricting the remove
operation, as any user with "write" permission may commit an empty
file on top of an existing one.
(If you don't trust someone, don't give him "write" permission...
Notice that permissions can be granted by branch).
Look for "Access control lists" in the CVSNT manual.

--
Gabriel Genellina
Softlab SRL