[cvsnt] EVS Windermere (a1) Build 2512 (Test Build Nov 13 2006)

Tony Hoyle tony.hoyle at march-hare.com
Tue Nov 14 10:37:33 GMT 2006

Richard Wirth wrote:
> Hello Tony,
>

> TH> The first public test build of evs has arrived!
>
> The Installation of evs-client on w2k clobbers an existing
> installation of cvsnt, cause it uses the same registry key
> HKLM/Software/CVS
>
> Why not to use a separete one for evs? (at least for client install)

It makes upgrading easier since you can just upgrade without having to
reconfigure everything... I need to modify the postinst code to move any
settings when things do move properly (and think carefully about the
layout probably).

The clients don't really tread on each other... evs uses different keys
to find itself (evs uses SearchPath and InstallBase, cvsnt and some
third party stuff uses InstallPath).  For the client there's not a whole
lot in the registry to conflict.  Of course installing both servers is
going to be an issue but then you'd get that anyway... it's not
something I'd expect to work.