[cvsnt] cvsnt B2151+ - storing 'localtime' in the sessionLog database table

Joe Enfield joeenfield at hotmail.com
Sat Nov 18 14:20:00 GMT 2006

I've noticed that cvsnt converts the time from UTC to localtime before
persisting to the database.
strftime(dt,sizeof(dt),"%Y-%m-%d %H:%M:%S",localtime(&d));

Using MS SqlServer this has the affect of showing the time in UTC when using
clients to view the database table - as long as the Locale of the viewer is
the same as the local of the server that commited the file.  If these
Locales are different, then the time shown will be incorrect.
It also means that when searching for records, we have to manually offset
UTC commit time by the Servers Locale before formatting a date to search.

The heart of the matter is that I don't think that the SessionLog table
should store dates that have been offset by localtime.  Rather, they should
simply store UTC, and allow the client to determine what Locale format
should be displayed / Searched against - which could be the operating system
local, or UTC - clients choice.

Is this change 'do-able'?

Thank you,
Joe E.