[cvsnt] newbie asks 2.5.03 upgrade consequences

Bo Berglund Bo.Berglund at system3r.se
Tue Nov 21 15:28:56 GMT 2006

>Tony Hoyle wrote:
>
>[snip]
>> ?? I use unix tools all the time and they work fine with spaces.
It's
>> in "Program Files" anyway - so there's a space however you structure
it.

>That's in english versions of Windows. For example in german, it's
>"Programme" and I suppose, it's just one word in swedish too...
>
>Best regards
>	Andreas

Yes, it is "C:\Program" but this has caused a lot of grief in the past
when
both "Program Files" and "Program" exist on the PC and some applications
install shortcuts or run items that are spelled like this:
C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Office\WinWord.exe or similar
and the result is that the *folder* "Program" opens on clicking the
shortcut
or when the PC starts up (if it is in the run key).

Why? Well, because some idiot when installing did not bother to add the
surrounding quotes and because in Sweden there is always the C:\Program
folder to mistakenly open...

So I have the habit of always avoid whitespace in install paths wherever
possible and I use the folder "Programs" to avoid confusion with the
"Program Files" folder used by English Windows.