[cvsnt] Release manager

Gerhard Fiedler lists at connectionbrazil.com
Mon Nov 27 13:36:43 GMT 2006

Anders wrote:

> Anyhow, yes, I use cvs suite, and my appologies for posting the wrong place,
> I just hoped that some of you would have some idea as of how to attack the
> general concept of the transfer of files from the development server to the
> production server.
>
> Ive realized that the releasemanager cant be used in my situation for
> various reasons, but im still keen to know how to solve my problem.
>
> How do you people do this?
>
> I mean I would want file versioning between the develop server and the prod
> server as well,
>
> In case I for instance have version 3 of my site running on the develop
> server and version 2 on the production one, and I find an error in the
> production one. Then I need to correct this error on version 2...
>
> So any suggestions of how to do this is most welcomed, not saying cvs suite,
> just in general, how do people do this?

1) Use branching. You'd probably need at least a branch for the production
server.

2) In general, you would set up some kind of automatic copy of committed
files to the respective server, either in the traditional way through a
postcommit/postcommand script, or through the "Automatic checkout
extension" plugin and the shadow file.

Gerhard