[cvsnt] Problem with tags- val-tags: Permission denied

David Somers dsomers at omz13.com
Thu Nov 30 17:14:44 GMT 2006

Nigel Orr wrote:
[snip]
> cvs [server aborted]: cannot write
> F:/CVSRepo/NASBOP_GUI/CVSROOT/val-tags: Permission denied
>
> Error, CVS operation failed
> ----------------------------
>
> What is the problem?  What do I need to do to fix it?  Is it just a
> matter of permissions on that file on the server?

Users need to be given read/write permission to the val-tags file.

> Is there a way to
> avoid it for new repositories?

Maybe init could do something with permissions, but since repository
creation is a fairly infrequent op, and you usually need to go in a mod
things anyway, its not a big deal - but if you think it is, patches are
welcome.

BTW, I remember the days when a sig line was only a 2 or 3 lines long... I
think you now hold the record for the longest one sent to this list.