[cvsnt] Reboot required on upgrade???

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at telia.com
Tue Oct 3 21:44:02 BST 2006

On Tue, 26 Sep 2006 09:22:15 -0400, "Jim Hyslop" <jimh at view22.com>
wrote:

>> CVSNT requires a system level hook into the OS to provide
>> pserver functionality.  That rarely changes (hasn't in
>> several months), but when it does it needs a reboot to
>> actually update it.
>
>Let me clarify what I meant by "system level". I meant "required in
>order for the operating system itself to work."
>
>CVSNT runs as a service, doesn't it? Pardon my naivete, but why can't
>the installer just stop the service, install the necessary components
>then restart the service?

It is what it does too...
In fact my version of the InnoSetup installer actually first
uninstalled the existing service then installed the new one.
The reboot problem comes from updating the system PATH variable with
the path to the CVSNT executable directory. In order to fully make it
work across the board a reboot was the simplest way to make it happen.
But if your PATH variable already before contains the path to the
cvsnt app dir then ignoring the suggestion is perfectly safe. A simple
test on a command prompt in a non-sandbox dir will show if the path is
OK:
cvs --version
Should either print the version info of cvsnt or an error message from
Windows (if it cannot find cvs.exe).

HTH

/Bo
(Bo Berglund, developer in Sweden)