[cvsnt] Reported author problem running cvsnt with cygwin/sshd on Windows Server 2003.

Dwight Schauer dschauer at gmail.com
Fri Oct 6 00:36:42 BST 2006

Tony,

Thanks for your response concerning this issue.

On 10/5/06, Tony Hoyle <tony.hoyle at march-hare.com> wrote:

> This was a solved problem years ago - it's not a cvsnt issue.

Yeah, I did not think it was a cvsnt issue. Thanks for the clarification.

> If it were up to me (and I know it is not) I'd rather see the GetUserNameA
> > call removed all together, and the user name gotten from the environment
> > all
> > the time, but there may be other reasons why GetUserNameA is is being
> used.
>
> That would be a security breach.  You can't just have any username in

I understand.

In the same way 'sshd_server' is not a guaranteed secure user and cannot
> be safely added as an exception.

I concur.

Alright, so I guess I'll need to try to get in fixed in cygwin/sshd if I
choose to stick with this method of cvsnt user authentication. For now I'll
use my workaround, as on that server I know I was the one who created the
"sshd_s" account.

Dwight