[cvsnt] Revision Numbering

Tony Hoyle tony.hoyle at march-hare.com
Sat Oct 7 01:21:51 BST 2006

Tim Chippington Derrick wrote:
> Us too. We *always* tag and do a clean fetch from CVSNT before any
> release build, but we do also include internal version strings in our
> shipped "products" so that we can confirm the internal version info of
> *every* source file that was used to build them. Please make sure that
> we can still include something equivalent to those internal version
> numbers in our source files...

There was never an intention to remove them completely, just hide them -
put the tag there instead so a file is HEAD.1, HEAD.2, HEAD.3, etc. and
RELEASE_2.1, RELEASE_2.2, RELEASE_2.3..

The old numbers will still be available but they'll be a *lot* less
visible by default - only the other day someone asked how to change
them.. it's just not intuitive to new users that see these revision
numbers and equate them with release versions.