[cvsnt] linux host, and ACLs

duane_ellis at franklin.com duane_ellis at franklin.com
Fri Oct 20 02:29:55 BST 2006

Hello,

I've seen _some_ info about ACLs and windows NTFS acl setups.

I have some questions that I cannot seem to find answers to on my own.

I don't see info about Linux ACLs and ..

What I do see is stuff like "use :pserver:" or cvs-passwords.
Then the next breath, the docs say - don't use :pserver:...

I don't see examples of this, nor is it discussed in the 172 page PDF
cvsnt user
manual. And I can't find this sort of stuff in the the WIKI...

More specfically:

(a) What I need to support is this:
        Multiple contractors
        Multiple modules
        Contractors share the same repository
        Contractor A cannot get view - contractor B's work.
        BUT - some modules are shared read only (checkout only)
        Others are Read/Write (checkin is ok)
        ... etc ...
        There's more then a few permutations.

b) Server is a linux box - not a windows box
        it runs a few other 'linux centric apps'

c) access to this machine is by SSH only, no other access at all.
        All users will have SSH shell accounts on the machine.

d) Reason for ssh only access is this:
        Some clients are Linux only.
        All clients are remote from the server
        There is *NO* common vpn for all clients.

e) Clients will be using:
        eclipse - windows & linux
        TortiousCVS - Windows
        command line CVS - from linux (scripts)

        Clients must continue to be able to use existing -
        legacy CVS clients to talk to existing legacy CVS repositories.

I don't see any "how to" info in this area.

Can you point me to a better link that has this  sort of info.

Duane Ellis
Principal Engineer
Franklin Electronic Publishers
One Franklin Plaza