[cvsnt] linux host, and ACLs

duane_ellis at franklin.com duane_ellis at franklin.com
Fri Oct 20 11:06:10 BST 2006

Gerhard Fiedler at lists connectionbrazil.com wrote:

> Forget about file system ACLs, and use simply the cvsnt ACLs. They work
the
> same on Windows and Linux AFAIK. The only thing that may be different is
> where cvsnt gets the info about the users from, but there should be info
> out there about this.

Ah.. think I must use the filesystem ACLs...

Otherwise users can just "cd /to/the/CVSROOT" and gain access
to thinks they should not have access to.

Nothing in what you pointed me to is new, nothing there talks about
interactions with the underlying filesystem ACLs, etc.

Unless CVSNT runs as "SETUID so-other-user" and the entire CVS
repository is non-accessable by casual "cd /to/the/CVSROOT"

NOTE: I don't see anything you pointed me to that says it works that way

I don't see how I can stop users from "cd /to/the/CVSROOT" and looking
around.

Please understand, perhaps my understanding is clouded with the fact I've
been using standard UNIX based CVS for +12 years and I don't know
some key difference with CVSNT.

Duane Ellis
Principal Engineer
Franklin Electronic Publishers