[cvsnt] WinCVS migration questions

Gabriel Genellina gagsl-cvsnt at yahoo.com.ar
Wed Oct 25 08:49:13 BST 2006

At Wednesday 25/10/2006 04:06, Lawrence Giam wrote:

>I would like to ask a few questions regarding migrating WinCVS (version
>2.0.51d) from Windows 2003 platform to CVS (version 1.12.) Debian 3.1R2
>platform.

WinCVS is just a front end; I think you mean CVSNT 2.0.51d
I don't think this may be possible; at least I don't know any tool
for converting backwards from CVSNT to CVS. The bulk RCS format is
the same, but some info is stored differently (expand mode by
example, it's versioned on CVSNT but a static property on CVS).

>1. What is best way to approach this migration?

CVSNT -despite its name- runs on Linux too, so you could stay with it
even after migrating the OS.

>2. Will there be any incompatiblity problems with this migration? Will
>developers still be able to use their WinCVS to connect to the linux
>server?

If you keep using CVSNT and manage to maintain the same host name and
the same authentication scheme, they could even not notice the change...

--
Gabriel Genellina
Softlab SRL