[cvsnt] Strange behaviour of cvs status on a VMWare server...

JP Vossen jp at jpsdomain.org
Fri Oct 27 18:24:54 BST 2006

Gerhard Fiedler wrote:
> JP Vossen wrote:
>
>> Bo Berglund wrote:
>>> On Thu, 26 Oct 2006 19:53:17 -0300, Gerhard Fiedler
>>>>
>>> How does one compare network traffic? I have no idea about that... In
>>> fact I have often wanted to be able to "see" what my own PC at home is
>>> doing towards the network when it seems to be slowing down for unknown
>>> reasons...
>> http://wireshark.org/
>
> Or
> http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilities/TdiMon.html
> http://www.ethereal.com/

I guess I should have mentioned that Wireshark is a new "fork" of
Ethereal for name trademark reasons.  What's unusual in this case is
that ALL of the Ethereal core development team has moved to Wireshark
instead.  I don't know if anyone will actually be working on Ethereal in
the future.
	http://wireshark.org/faq.html#q1.2

I have not looked into the matter deeply, but for all intents and
purposes Wireshark == Ethereal and *I'm* considering Ethereal dead.

I'd forgotten about TDIMon and TCPView.  While SysInternals stuff is
GREAT, I personally prefer free (beer&speech) software, thus the more
full featured and GNU Ethereal/Wireshark.  But there are lots of
possibilities.  Heck, Windows even has one built-in, or used to, but I
forget the name.  Network Monitor?  Network Analyzer?  IIRC the built-in
one didn't do promisc mode, which is probably not an issue here, but the
version from SMS did.

Later,
JP
Microsoft has single-handedly nullified Moore's Law.
Innate design flaws of Windows make a personal firewall, anti-virus
and anti-malware software mandatory. The resulting software arms race
has effectively flattened Moore's Law on hardware running Windows.