[cvsnt] Can History-File cause Performance issues?

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at telia.com
Fri Sep 1 19:11:40 BST 2006

On Fri, 01 Sep 2006 12:57:16 -0400, Chuck Kirschman
<Chuck.Kirschman at Nosp_am.bentley.com> wrote:

>I think this is one of those things that is only seen by larger users,
>but we definitely found it to be a problem.  We regularly got up over
>100 MB history files, and some repositories cleared 500 MB and were
>heading for 1 GB.  As near as I can tell, CVS still does not have a
>solution to this problem.  What we ended up doing was writing a simple
>script to keep roughly the last 3 months of data; usually 30-50 MB.
>This had substantial performance benefits when running a "cvs history"
>command, but smaller effects on other operations.
>
>Rather than lose information, we stored the pieces we clipped out of the
>history files in other files with a time stamp in the name.  So now a
>"cvs history" will only show data for the past 3 months.  However, when
>we need to go back further, we can use a combination of greps to extract
>the information into a single history file that we can then query.
>
>I do not believe there is any way for the history file in one repository
>to influence any other repository.

If you have a recent CVSNT server, then why not enable auditing and
switch off the history file stuff altogether?
With a proper database you get so much better possibilities to search
for stuff and create all kinds of reports.

HTH

/Bo
(Bo Berglund, developer in Sweden)