[cvsnt] --lf obsolete?

Yongwei Wu wuyongwei at gmail.com
Sun Sep 3 09:58:17 BST 2006

On 9/3/06, Tony Hoyle <tony.hoyle at march-hare.com> wrote:
> Flávio Etrusco wrote:
> >> Sorry, thats not true.
> >> If you have to compile for instance a gcc compiler with cygwin to
> >> use it as a cross compiler than there is no other way to checkout
> >> the gcc with unix line endings at all, or it won't compile.
> >>
> >> Ernst
> >

> > But in this case the -k+L expansion mode is the way to go...
> >
> > -Flávio
>
> Not to mention that's a pretty contrived example...  few people actually
> compile compilers even natively let alone under cygwin (if it's even
> possible under that.. you need a pretty complete unix environment for it
> to work).  Plus anyone doing that level of lowlevel work would know to
> run dos2unix on the source tree so would never hit the issue.

I know at least four ways to convert DOS text files to UNIX ones. The
point is why I should do it if it can be avoided. Doing it may also
mean I need to have two copies of the source tree.

> 99.9% of people simply will never hit this problem.  For those 0.1%
> they're pretty much treating cygwin as a separete OS anyway and should
> either be considering using unix via vmware/colinux/ssh anyway, or need
> to properly to treat cygwin as a completely separate environment with
> its own tools and use the cvs supplied with cygwin.

For the tools, maybe. For the files, I doubt. People always share
files between Windows and Cygwin, or between Windows and Linux on the
dual-boot system. It is convenient not to have to check out the
sources twice in different ways.

> As it is cvsnt on windows is a windows application and continue to obey
> the windows rules.  If someone wants to port cvsnt to cygwin that's up
> to them of course.. I'm sure it's possible.

This is true. I doubt its value, when you can simply having the
following script in /usr/local/bin:

#! /bin/sh
/path/to/cvs.exe --lf $*

If you think this option can have side-effecs, that is fine. Document
it clearly in the manual, and warn the user in the manual. Unlike the
case of `commit -r', I believe this option is quite trivial, and
keeping it will not affect other parts of CVSNT.--I believe also this
option is not guilty to the point of having to be killed!

Best regards,

Yongwei

--
Wu Yongwei