[cvsnt] Changing Commit Dialog

Joe.VanQuakebeke at ingenix.com Joe.VanQuakebeke at ingenix.com
Fri Sep 8 19:59:20 BST 2006

It really isn't.  Just use notepad and create your template file.  Then
put the template file in the same directory as your CVSROOT.  Next
modify the rcsinfo and put the path to template file in it.  Example:
DEFAULT c:/Repo/CVSROOT/project.template  (thanks Bo for the slash tip).
Next you create a script to read the template (use perl, python, batch,
shell script, or whatever).  After you have the script you can edit the
verifymsg file to put the path to the script.  I would put the script in
the CVSROOT directory to keep things simple.  Other may do it
differently, just make sure you keep it on the local host of the CVS
server.  (Thanks to Tony and Bo for their advice and help).

My template file is just three lines:
;Project:
;BugID:
;Comment:

My parser just matches the three lines and then splits them in their
values.  If the line doesn't have a value, I just exit -1.  For your
optional values, just don't exit if there is no value.

One of the nice things about cvs is that the log message will be passed
directly to your script so you don't have to do anything special.  No
need to hunt through env variables or temporary files.

One of the things that helped me to figure out how to do this is to
write a small program that echo's the command line and any environment
variables.  I then used that to write my parser and integration scripts.

hth,

Joe

"Secure Server GDV" made the following
 annotations on 09/08/2006 01:59:32 PM
------------------------------"This e-mail, including attachments, may include confidential and/or proprietary information, and may be used only by the person or entity to which it is addressed. If the reader of this e-mail is not the intended recipient or his or her authorized agent, the reader is hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this e-mail is prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender by replying to this message and delete this e-mail immediately."