[cvsnt] Importing source code into repository

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at telia.com
Thu Sep 14 19:28:49 BST 2006

On Thu, 14 Sep 2006 11:57:29 -0400, "Bryan Leber"
<bryan.leber at fischerinternational.com> wrote:

>So say I am setting up a CVS server for the first time ever...How do I
>get the source code that I want in the repository folder?

1. In your workstation (not on the CVSNT server) locate the top folder
in your project hierarchy.

2. Make sure it contains the files you want to store in CVS and
nothing else

3. Open a command window in the project folder

4. Enter a command like this:
cvs -d :sspi:cvsserver:/repository import -d -n -C Modulename

You have to replace as follows:
cvsserver = enter the name of the CVSNT server computer
/repository = enter the real repository name
Modulename = the module name on the server that you want to create

Notice that Modulename can be Projects/Clients/Something, i.e. it can
be a path name on the server (must be entered using forward slashes)

The options entered for the import command:
-d  makes the timestamp in the repository for the imported files be
the actual file system file timestamp (converted to UTC)

-n makes CVS import the files to the TRUNK rather than a vendor branch

-C makes CVS convert your project folder files into a true sandbox
that you can immediately start to work on.

HTH

/Bo
(Bo Berglund, developer in Sweden)