[cvsnt] multi-line msg on command line

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at telia.com
Thu Sep 14 23:02:45 BST 2006

On Thu, 14 Sep 2006 15:51:29 -0600, "Randy McCharles"
<RandyMcCharles at smarttech.com> wrote:

>>>I've looked through various documentation and searched the web, but can't seem to find a reference to this subject.
>>>
>>>When doing a
>>>
>>>   cvs admin -m"log message" file
>>>
>>>is there a way to insert a multi line comment?
>>>
>>>cvs commit invokes and editor to enter multiple lines, but admin doesn't seem to.
>>>
>>>We use cvs admin -m to correct check-in comments.
>>>

>>Use the \n escape:
>>
>> cvs admin -m"log message\nwith multiple lines\ embedded" file
>>

>>Actually according to the docs it should be:
>>  cvs admin -mRev:"log message" file
>>in this case:
>>  cvs admin -m1.15:"log message\nwith multiple lines\ embedded" file
>>

>I did try \n and the sequence was treated as part of the message.
>
>i.e. the log reads:  line1\nline2\nline3
>
>Also -mRev is only required if you are not using the currently checked out revision. -m by itself will use the checked out revision.

Strange, I did a test via WinCvs and looked at the command line it
produced:

cvs admin "-m1.26:Testing group file handling\nNow adding extra line
to message\nAnd another" -- AAAFile.txt (in directory
F:\Engineering\Projects\Bosse\ModuleXX\)
RCS file: /KORVkiosk/ModuleXX/AAAFile.txt,v
done

After this the log message is multiline...

HTH

/Bo
(Bo Berglund, developer in Sweden)