[cvsnt] Jar files becoming corrupt

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at telia.com
Sat Sep 16 07:31:05 BST 2006

On Fri, 15 Sep 2006 16:22:48 -0400, "Bryan Leber"
<bryan.leber at fischerinternational.com> wrote:

>How do you tell if it was done in binary form? I just did an upgrade on
>a test cvs server and that did not take care of this issue. Any
>thoughts?

Each file is added to the repository with a marker that tells CVS if
it will be treated as a text file, a binary file or a unicode file.
Text files get stored in the repo "line by line" and when checked out
the line ending added to each line will depend on the operating system
on the *client* side. THus on Windows CRLF, on Linux LF and on Mac
probably CR (but I don't know Macs so I can't say for sure).

Anyway, text files are modified if you look at them byte by byte by
this procedure.

Binary files are stored in one block and are retrieved as is in the
same way so no matter which operating system the client is on they
will get exactly what was stored byte by byte.

HTH

/Bo
(Bo Berglund, developer in Sweden)