[cvsnt] Comparing your sandbox to the archive

Andreas Tscharner andreas.tscharner at metromec.ch
Tue Sep 19 06:40:48 BST 2006

David Best wrote:
> We are looking for a way to compare our sandboxes to the existing
> archive.

[snip]

> We are using Tortoise 1.8.25 and CVSNT 2.5.02

There are two ways:

1) Make a
cvs -n -q update -d -P
on your top level directory. This command just shows you, what an update
WOULD DO, but does nothing actually. In Tortoise this command is
labelled "simulate update"

2) Try
cvs -q diff -u
on your top level directory. It shows you all the differences of all
files in the unix diff file style. Tortoise calls this "CVS Diff...",
but it provides this command only on a modified file, not on a directory

Best regards
	Andreas
Andreas Tscharner                          andreas.tscharner at metromec.ch