[cvsnt] Updating CVS Server

David Somers dsomers at omz13.com
Tue Sep 19 22:28:55 BST 2006

Bryan Leber wrote:

> So if for some reason the server hung up, and we did a reboot the
> information would stay no matter what?

At the worst you'd only loose the the changes you were trying to make.

Plus, its very unusual for a server to hang... on Windows I haven't seen a
BSOD for years (and I can't even remember when I had to hit the big red
switch)... on Linux its fairly easy to monitor when a process is going
crazy and kill/restart it before the whole system goes unstable (and again,
I can't remember having to resort to the big red switch.)

> Another question may be, if the
> server crashes and we do a fresh install of cvs server, is there any way
> to get the information from past branches and tags back in as if nothing
> has ever happened?

Since the server and the data and separate, that's not an issue. (It follows
a classic three-tier architecture: client, server, and data.)

> Retrieving the head branch wouldn't be a problem, but
> I'm not sure what about all our previous versions?

Now why would you think that? All the revisions for a file are stored in a
single file... so if the file does somehow get trashed, its more likely for
the head to be corrupt than any past revisions.

--
David Somers
typographer/programmer/whatever