[cvsnt] Problems with text/binary *.rtf files

Thomas Muller ttm at online.no
Mon Sep 25 15:45:14 BST 2006

CVS gurus,

I have some problems with *.rtf files - when I add them as text they become
corrupt - MS Word fails to read the files. If I try to force them into CVS
as binary (-kb), they are still showing up as encoding 'text' and MS Word
still can't read them.

The work-around for the time being is to use 'doc' which seems to work fine
- CVS inserts them correctly as 'binary'. The ideal situation is to use rtf
and insert as text (which rtf in fact is) and utilize CVS tags such as
$Revision$, $Name$,
$Author$ etc.

We actually have the same problem with Symbian *.sis files - they are
interpreted as text by CVS, regardless of using "add as binary" from the CVS
client - and are consequently corrupted when files are being checked out
again.

Client: Windows XP Pro, WinCVS 2.0.2.4 (Build 4)
Server: Win 2003 Server, CVSNT 2.5.03 (Scorpio) Build 2151

Any input would be much appreciated.

--

Thomas