[cvsnt] Reboot required on upgrade???

Jim Hyslop jimh at view22.com
Mon Sep 25 21:04:43 BST 2006

Hi,

I just upgraded our CVSNT server from an older version to the most
recent. When the setup was completed, it said that the machine had to be
rebooted for the changes to take effect. Errrr.... NOT! This is a
heavy-duty production server, and I cannot just reboot it whenever I
want, or whenever an application feels like it. I have ignored the
suggestion, and it seems to be working for now (I've suggested to the
PTB that a reboot should be rescheduled at the earliest convenient
opportunity).

<soapbox>
Reboots should only be required when adjusting things at the system
level. CVS is *not* a system level application, it is a user-level
application and should therefore never require rebooting the machine.
</soapbox>

BTW, upgrading the server seems to have resolved my earlier problems.
Thanks, Tony and Glen, for the hints pointing me in that direction
(shoulda thought of that myself ;-)

--
Jim