[cvsnt] Force LF only?

Tony Hoyle tony.hoyle at march-hare.com
Tue Sep 26 01:26:09 BST 2006

JP Vossen wrote:

> Just be be sure I understand then, I *should* be using -k+L but can't
> (yet at least) because my back-end is legacy/native CVS, correct?  Any
> ETA for a fix and/or 2.6? <ducks>

Not sure at the moment - get back to me in a few days & I might be able
to come up with a timescale.

Of course if you're into coding you could cook something up yourself &
I'll gladly include it - I suspect all it needs to do is save state
somehow between the checkout command and the server response (something
like the way cvs ls is faked for cvshome servers, but different..)

I only object to --lf because it changes the default behaviour of the
entire tool, switching off all line ending recognition.  A hybrid that
still worked could be done I guess (thinking about it wouldn't be too
hard.. it's that problem with there only being 24 hours in a day again...)

> The funny thing is, while I think it's a great tool, Cygwin is such a
> mongrel--being neither really Unix nor really Windows--that it throws me
> off.  Neither set of reflexes quite work...  I'd much rather ditch the
> Windows stuff, but for various corporate reasons, that's not going to
> happen.

cygwin is the best of a bad lot at the moment - SFU is getting better
though.

> FYI I haven't ever used cvsnt *not* on a Samba share, and it works
> great.  I don't trust Windows--everything important that I can easily
> move is on H: on my Linux server, with RAID.

It works most of the time, until someone installs an antivirus or
something.. there are enough potential issues (timestamps being out of
sync, delayed locks, not to mention network usage) that we don't support
it normally.