[cvsnt] Branch creation takes a long time

Arthur Barrett arthur.barrett at march-hare.com
Sat Apr 7 01:37:07 BST 2007

Rick,

Look into user defined change sets ("cvs edit -b", and "cvs ci -b" or
just "cvs cv -B").  This allows you to define a change set without
needing to create a branch.

Creating branches for releases I personally think is OK - particularly
if there is a high liklihood of needing to make changes down the track.
Of course you can always just tag a release and then branch when you
need to make that change.

In addition to Kelly's patch being in 2.5.04 we also have a new project
"EVS" which uses a database backend rather than RCS files, and creating
branches in that should be instantaneous.  The next test release of that
should be out soon - but you should ask/check with the evs newsgroup.
http://www.evscm.org/

Regards,

Arthur