[cvsnt] Poor performance on Windows 2003 server

Peter Crowther Peter.Crowther at melandra.com
Wed Apr 18 16:43:30 BST 2007

> From: Mark Donnelly
> I've been tasked by my company to convert an existing linux-based CVS
> 1.11.1p1 repository to a windows 2003-based CVSNT repository (CVSNT
> 2.5.03 Build 2382).  However, I've run into a problem where a checkout
> is taking two and a half times as long with CVSNT as it is with CVS.

Mark - I suspect I'm going to get yelled at for saying this, but various
people have reported poor performance of CVSNT compared to CVS 1.11 over
the years.  The typical developer response appears to be to swear blind
that there can't be a problem, rather than to investigate.  CVSNT does
rather more than CVS, and several of the code paths in Windows are
rather more complex than in Linux, but not all of the difference seems
to be down to those points.

I assume you're either not running real-time anti-virus or have disabled
it on the repo and temp filestore?  This is well-known for crippling
performance.

		- Peter