[cvsnt] Poor performance on Windows 2003 server

Tony Hoyle tony.hoyle at march-hare.com
Wed Apr 18 17:01:56 BST 2007

Peter Crowther wrote:
> the years.  The typical developer response appears to be to swear blind
> that there can't be a problem, rather than to investigate.  CVSNT does

No we know it's slower, but you can't compare across platforms like
that... Windows running cvsnt 1.11 back in the day was a fair bit slower
than the Unix running the same code.

One of the biggies for speed is antivirus - if you're running realtime
scanning it'll more than halve your checkout speed easily - that should
be switched off or at least excluded from the repository/temp
directories.  Same goes for the client sandboxes.

There are other things like checking out to shared sandboxes, having
slow connections to the domain controller, shortage of memory.

cvsnt is slower but as you say it does a lot more.. it's not two and a
half times slower though.