[cvsnt] Setting up shared repositories

Gerhard Fiedler lists at connectionbrazil.com
Wed Aug 15 20:52:07 BST 2007

Richard Watt wrote:

> Gerhard: I've actually got my CVS repository in a fixed location on the
> XP Pro system, and create all the modules from that, so it probably
> shouldn't matter if I use a CVSROOT variable or TCVS's -d option, should
> it?

Yes and no. It doesn't matter, but it /really/ doesn't matter -- which may
not be what you meant :)

AFAIK, when checking out with TCVS, it /always/ uses the -d option with the
values that you set in the checkout dialog. I don't know whether there is a
way to run a checkout with TCVS without it using the -d option, but I don't
think there is. Since the -d option overrides your CVSROOT environment
variable, it doesn't get used here.

And once you're working in a checked out sandbox, cvsnt uses the
information stored in the CVS/Root files inside the sandbox. This also
overrides any CVSROOT environment variable, so it doesn't get used here
either.

The thing to keep in mind is that in your situation the CVSROOT environment
variable only gets used when you run cvsnt command line commands outside of
an existing sandbox. In all other cases, something else is being used. This
may be important when troubleshooting why something doesn't connect: don't
think the CVSROOT variable is used when it isn't.

See also <http://www.cvsnt.org/manual/html/Repository.html>. It's written a
bit confusing there, but the order of precedence is:

1) -d option
2) CVS/Root files if present (that is, if you're in a cvs(nt) sandbox)
3) CVSROOT environment variable

Gerhard