[cvsnt] Tortoise CVS having connection problems to CVSNT

Gerhard Fiedler lists at connectionbrazil.com
Wed Aug 22 13:28:00 BST 2007

phong dinh wrote:

> My old XP PRO box crashed and I installed Windows XP Media center and am
> using that to run the CVSNT (2.5.03) server.  Now, I'm having problems
> connecting from my Tortoise client that I didn't have before.  It seems
> like a connection problem:
>
> "A connection failed because the connected party did not properly
> respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because
> connected host has failed to respond."
>
> I created a test repository and test module.  On the SERVER machine, I
> can checkout the test module using the Tortoise client.  On a different
> machine on the LAN, I cant.

I don't know XP Media Center, but this could be a firewall issue on the
server. You need to allow inbound connections on port 2401.

> Here is the string:
>:sspi:cvsuser at MYSERVER:/tonys/CVS-Repository
>
> On the CVS Control Panel:
> Server: myserver
> name: /tonys/CVS-Repository
> Root: c:/tonys/CVS-Repository

Typically, you would assign a single repository name to the location on the
server, e.g. myrepo, to c:/tonys/cvs-repository. Also, with sspi, you could
use your Windows login automatically. With that, your connection string
would typically look like :sspi:myserver:/myrepo (or
:sspi:myuser at myserver/myrepo, if you want to use your username).

Gerhard