[cvsnt] Strange problem with CVSNT and permissions

Paul Whitfield paulw at omnitronics.com.au
Wed Aug 29 01:45:05 BST 2007

Arthur Barrett wrote:
> Paul,
>
> Please run cvsdiag on the server - it will report many things, but the important ones are whether it can write to the repository.  Also try running commit with -ttt (cvs -ttt commit -m "") and look to see if there are any interesting messages in the log.  In particular look for messages just before the error, and also at the top you will see it determine all the groups the user is a member of - check that engineering is one of those groups.
>
> Finally check noone has set up any CVSNT ACLs, ie: check you are running ACLs in "compat" mode (check the CVSROOT/config file, should be aclmode=compat), and run cvs -d :pserver:server:/repo rlsacl .
>
> Regards,
>

> Arthur

Thanks for the Tips Arthur.

I had already run the commit with the logging on, the output is on the
end of the email. See end of email, I am missing any search for
groups. Is this because I am using SSPI protocol?

As I said before this setup has been working with SSPI for a long time,
and it is the addition of a windows domain server that has "broken" it.
So I am sure that there are no cvs ACL been configured.

I have also run cvsdiag as you suggested, output is appended.

Regards

Paul

   -> Tracelevel set to 3.  PID is 2772
   -> Session ID is ad446d4b30d445e
   -> main loop with CVSROOT=:sspi:paulw at vercon:/cvsrepo
   -> Requesting server cvsignore
   -> wrap_add(*.gif -kb, 0, 0)
   -> wrap_add(*.pdf -kb, 0, 0)
   -> wrap_add(*.bmp -kb, 0, 0)
   -> wrap_add(*.jpg -kb, 0, 0)
   -> wrap_add(*.jpeg -kb, 0, 0)
   -> wrap_add(*.png -kb, 0, 0)
   -> wrap_add(*.exe -kb, 0, 0)
   -> wrap_add(*.dll -kb, 0, 0)
   -> wrap_add(*.so -kb, 0, 0)
   -> wrap_add(*.a -kb, 0, 0)
   -> wrap_add(*.pdb -kb, 0, 0)
   -> wrap_add(*.lib -kb, 0, 0)
   -> wrap_add(*.o -kb, 0, 0)
   -> wrap_add(*.res -kb, 0, 0)
   -> wrap_add(*.class -kb, 0, 0)
   -> wrap_add(*.ogg -kb, 0, 0)
   -> wrap_add(*.mp3 -kb, 0, 0)
   -> Requesting server cvswrappers
   -> wrap_add(*.gif -k 'b', 0, 1)
   -> wrap_add(*.bmp -k 'b' , 0, 1)
   -> wrap_add(*.dfm -k 'b', 0, 1)
   -> wrap_add(*.cab -k 'b', 0, 1)
   -> wrap_add(*.class -k 'b', 0, 1)
   -> wrap_add(*.doc -k 'b', 0, 1)
   -> wrap_add(*.dll -k 'b', 0, 1)
   -> wrap_add(*.exe -k 'b', 0, 1)
   -> wrap_add(*.exp -k 'b', 0, 1)
   -> wrap_add(*.gif -k 'b', 0, 1)
   -> wrap_add(*.gz -k 'b', 0, 1)
   -> wrap_add(*.jar -k 'b', 0, 1)
   -> wrap_add(*.jpg -k 'b', 0, 1)
   -> wrap_add(*.jpeg -k 'b', 0, 1)
   -> wrap_add(*.msi -k 'b', 0, 1)
   -> wrap_add(*.mso -k 'b', 0, 1)
   -> wrap_add(*.pfw -k 'b', 0, 1)
   -> wrap_add(*.png -k 'b', 0, 1)
   -> wrap_add(*.ppt -k 'b', 0, 1)
   -> wrap_add(*.sit -k 'b', 0, 1)
   -> wrap_add(*.tar -k 'b', 0, 1)
   -> wrap_add(*.tlb -k 'b', 0, 1)
   -> wrap_add(*.vsd -k 'b', 0, 1)
   -> wrap_add(*.xls -k 'b', 0, 1)
   -> wrap_add(*.wmz -k 'b', 0, 1)
   -> wrap_add(*.zip -k 'b', 0, 1)
   -> Requesting server cvsrc (read-cvsrc2)
   -> Parsing global cvsrc started
   -> Parsing global cvsrc finished
   -> GetUnixFileModeNtEA(gavin.c,000006E4) returns 0644
   -> Name_Repository((null),)
   -> open_directory(/cvsrepo/test/iocc,(null),(null))
   -> Name_Repository((null),)
   -> Repository = /cvsrepo/test/iocc
   -> Mapped repository = /cvsrepo/test/iocc
   -> GetUnixFileModeNtEA(gavin.c,000006E4) returns 0644
   -> close_directory()
   -> GetUnixFileModeNtEA(gavin.c,000006E4) returns 0644
   -> Name_Repository((null),)
   -> open_directory(/cvsrepo/test/iocc,(null),(null))
   -> Name_Repository((null),)
   -> Repository = /cvsrepo/test/iocc
   -> Mapped repository = /cvsrepo/test/iocc
   -> GetUnixFileModeNtEA(gavin.c,000006E4) returns 0644
   -> Sending file 'gavin.c' to server
   -> GetUnixFileModeNtEA(gavin.c,000006E4) returns 0644
   -> GetUnixFileModeNtEA(gavin.c,000006E4) returns 0644
   -> close_directory()
07:43:07: S -> change_mode (gavin.c,u=rw,g=r,o=r,0)
07:43:07: S -> wnt_chmod(gavin.c,0644)
07:43:07: S -> SetUnixFileModeNtEA(g,0644)
cvs [server aborted]: "commit" requires write access to the repository

CVSNT Diagnostic output
-----------------------

Server version: 2.5.03 (Scorpio) Build 2382
OS Version: Windows XP 5.1.2600 (Service Pack 2)

CVS Service installed: Yes
LockService installed: Yes

:pserver: installed: Yes
:sserver: installed: Yes
:gserver: installed: Yes
:server: installed: Yes
:ssh: installed: Yes
:sspi: installed: Yes
:ext: installed: Yes

Installation Path: C:\Program Files\CVSNT\
Repository 0 Path: C:/cvsrepo
Repository 0 Name: /cvsrepo
Repository 1 Path: (no value)
Repository 1 Name: (no value)
Repository 2 Path: (no value)
Repository 2 Name: (no value)
Repository 3 Path: (no value)
Repository 3 Name: (no value)
CVS Temp directory: C:\cvstemp
CA Certificate File: C:\Program Files\cvsnt\cvsnt-default.pem
Private Key File: C:\Program Files\cvsnt\cvsnt-default.pem
Local Users Only: No
Default LockServer: localhost:2402
Disable Reverse DNS: No
Server Tracing: Yes
Case Sensitive: No
Server listen port: 2401
Compatibility (Non-cvsnt clients):
	Report old CVS version: No
	Hide extended status: No
	Emulate co -n bug: No
	Ignore client wrappers: No
Compatibility (CVSNT clients):
	Report old CVS version: No
	Hide extended status: No
	Emulate co -n bug: No
	Ignore client wrappers: No
Default domain: OMNITRONICS
Force run as user:

Temp dir readable by current user: Yes
Repository0 readable by current user: Yes
Temp dir writable by current user: Yes

AV files detected:
(none)

Installed Winsock protocols: