[cvsnt] Please help with moving of repositories

Bo Berglund Bo.Berglund at system3r.se
Fri Aug 31 16:00:33 BST 2007

"Line ending problem"
---------------------
This is no problem whatsoever, the CVSNT repository files are all using
UNIX line endings and if you let some tool convert these then the system
will fail miserably. They must stay with LF as the line endings.

"Moving from CVS on Linux"
--------------------------
What you have here is not only moving from a Linux server, but also from
a different CVS server (GNU CVS).
You will have some issues, but not many going in this direction, but it
is a one-way street. Once you start working on the repo in CVSNT it
cannot be moved back to GNU CVS.
Most of the adaptations come from the CVSROOT files and the best advice
I can give is to not copy over CVSROOT. Instead, create a new repository
on the new server using the latest (build 2382) version of CVSNT.
Then copy in the files from the Linux repo to this new repo (in parallel
with the CVSROOT dir) and then set up your CVSROOT scripts as you would
like them to work on Windows.

"Links on UNIX"
---------------
CVSNT on Windows cannot cope with links. You have to create file copies
if you have the repo on Linux set up with linked files (which in my
opinion do not belong inside a repository at all).

"Import"
---------
Please do not use this term in such a vague context. cvs import is a
valid command and your wording can be confused with this command. You do
nopt want to import anything, you want to migrate the old repositories
to a new server and preserve all of the repository history. This is done
by moving over the RCS files as described without changing them in any
way at all.

"CVSNT version"
I hope you plan on using a newer version of CVSNT on the new server than
build 1927!
I recommend 2.5.03.2382.

Best regards,

Bo Berglund