[cvsnt] CVSROOT/module blank characters

Albert Berenguel abcworld22 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 20 08:40:21 GMT 2007

Hello!!!

I'm using TortoiseCVS for work with files under CVS version control. Our
server is running Debian i386. I want to upload a project that it will share
some other projects, libraries and files. To do that, we have created a
CVSROOT that manages in the modules folder (CVSROOT/modules) the links
between the shared and the original projects. We have clear the idea of how
to do it, but in the step of write in the modules file the links between the
current project that is sharing the files and the original one we are having
problems due to the used paths.
The main problem it's that we want to add the current working path and the
original one with some names that have blank characters inside the string.
We don't know how to make that these entries in the modules file doesn't
give the problem that parser is taking these blank characters as new
strings.

Here's there is an example:

# CVSROOT / module
# Three different line formats are valid:
#          key       -a    aliases...
#          key [options] directory
#          key [options] directory files...

#New links between modules
ProjectX /Desarrollo/Computer Vision/Types Conversions
Server/Desarrollo/Computer Vision/Types Conversions
ProjectX /Desarrollo/Computer Vision/Types Definitions
Server/Desarrollo/Computer Vision/Types Definitions

Every time we try to upload with TortoiseCVS that line we have got the same
error:

/home/CVS/CVSROOT/modules,v  <--  modules
cvs commit: Rebuilding administrative file database
cvs commit: duplicate key found for ` ProjectX/Desarrollo/Computer
Vision/Types

 We have tried to make all the combinations to avoid these error like:

 " ProjectX/Desarrollo/Computer Vision/Types Conversions"
"Server/Desarrollo/Computer Vision/Types Conversions"
' ProjectX/Desarrollo/Computer Vision/Types Conversions'
'Server/Desarrollo/Computer Vision/Types Conversions'
" ProjectX/Desarrollo/Computer Vision/Types\ Conversions"
"Server/Desarrollo/Computer Vision/Types\ Conversions"
ProjectX/Desarrollo/Computer Vision/Types\ Conversions
Server/Desarrollo/Computer Vision/Types\ Conversions
' ProjectX/Desarrollo/Computer Vision/Types\ Conversions'
'Server/Desarrollo/Computer Vision/Types\ Conversions'
ProjectX/Desarrollo/Computer Vision/Types%20Conversions
Server/Desarrollo/Computer Vision/Types%20Conversions

… and so many others to make it work.

Do you have any idea of how it's possible to include these paths with blanks
characters? It's not possible to change these paths into the server cause
some projects are including these kinds of paths inside the code.

Some other info:
The value of CVSROOT is ":pserver:myname at IPserver:/home/CVS"
Concurrent Version System (CVS) 1.12.13 (client/server)

Thank you for your help.

Regards,

Albert